Tuesday 9 August 2016

My investigation into Labour Party

My investigation - Labour Party 

Dear Friends 

I was happy to hear the news that more Labour Party members would be allowed to vote in the Labour Leadership election as a result of a legal challenge. Sometimes it is right to  take legal action if all other avenues to resolve issues within an organisation have been thwarted.

The disenfranchisement of 130,000 Labour Party members was one such decision to challenge. I don't need to document the growing list of actions to try and remove our democratically elected leader and the subsequent attempts to restrict who can vote in the election. The attacks on democracy in the Labour Party by a particular group who seem to have unlimited resources are appalling & summed up more eloquently than me here https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/08/labour-party-mps-corbyn-conservatives-tories-post-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw

When I heard that the Labour Party were going to Appeal the decision I was initially shocked, then angry. 

I wanted to know who had made this decision. 

It has been an experience on social media to try and find out who made this decision and this is what I have found out so far. 

I have been told it was the National Executive Committee Procedures Sub Committee that made the decision to waste Labour Party members money on the Appeal. 

My next action was to find out who is on this committee and who voted which way. 

To date, Tuesday 9 August I have been told only two members voted against lodging an Appeal. 

AT this point I must make clear, this information is what I have been provided on social media, ideally I would like to see minutes of this meeting and who was present. 

What we all know is that this committee did vote to lodge an Appeal and I think that for transparency Labour Party members should know who voted which way. 

Ann Black - Voted not to waste money on an Appeal 
Jim Kennedy - Unite the Union Voted not to waste money on an Appeal 

Below are the remaining members of this Sub Committee, I don't have any other information as to how they voted or if they were present

General Secretary (Returning Officer) Iain McNicol - Don't know how he voted 
Keith Birch - (UNISON) Don't know how he voted
Diana Holland - Treasurer Don't know how she voted 
Paddy Lillis - USDAW Don't know how he voted 
Ellie Reeves - Don't know how she voted 
Mary Turner - GMB Don't know how she voted 
Tom Watson - Deputy Leader Don't know how he voted 
Margaret Beckett MP - Don't know how she voted 
Glenis Willmott MEP - Don't know how she voted 


If anyone reading this post has any further information please let me know and I can update this post.  

Link to the current members of the National Executive Committee 


No comments:

Post a Comment